[OSM-dev] Potlatch update

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue May 8 12:47:18 BST 2007

Hello Richard,

>I guess the main issue would be that Potlatch uses a OSM user token
>for authentication whenever you want to write to the database. You
>have one of these when logged in to OSM, but not (I presume) when
>logged into Freemap.

>But it wouldn't be difficult to modify amf_controller.rb so that you
>could also authenticate with user/pass. Let me know if you want this
>doing and I'm happy to make the change.

Yes, that would be useful thanks.

>From there, the easiest thing to do would then be to change the API
>URL that the SWF calls (line 242 of potlatch.cgi) to become an
>absolute address, viz 'remote.connect("http://www.openstreetmap.org/
>api/0.4/amf");'. You would also need Steve/Nick to add a
>crossdomain.xml file at the root of osm.org to permit SWFs from
>freemap.org.uk to access data from osm.org.

OK. Steve/Nick - are you able to do this? The domain would be
free-map.org.uk.

>Incidentally, the old, pre-Rails server API script (rubyamf.cgi), or
>even the PHP version, would only need a little updating - which I'm
>planning to do anyway - to run off a local database if you didn't
>want to use the main OSM data.

I'd want to use the main OSM data - idea is that I can test it easily on
the freemap server, then (if Steve and yourself are amenable) it can then
go live on the main OSM server.

Presumably the "amf" API call takes a way as a set of lat/lon, and if I
wanted to add nodes, I could just implement a "Flash server" (if you see
what I mean) on the freemap server and then go through the normal "node"
API?

Thanks,
Nick