[OSM-dev] Potlatch update

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:32:52 BST 2007

On 9 May 2007, at 09:53, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On 5/9/07, Thomas Walraet <thomas at walraet.com> wrote:
>> My preference for this problem is to try to minimize the number of
>> those
>> orphan segments... With Potlatch available online, JOSM users
>> should try
>> not to leave segments alone.
>
> While mapping I sometimes realise after the fact that I left out a
> street. I know approximatly where it is, but I have no name. I
> generally put a segment without a way there as a clear marker: someone
> fix this.

Would it be better to put the type of way in, and then have a FIXME tag?

That way people can see what roads are there even, if they don't know
the road name. If they know the road name it is then a fairly simple
task of adding the road name, as you are just adding the name
property and removing the FIXME tag. Whereas if you are not putting
in the way, it is a case of adding the way, and setting all the
properties on it. This is a far more difficult task for a newbie to do.

This has already been suggested for an area.
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/FIXME>

Please see the wiki page above for my other comments.

Shaun