[OSM-dev] Unwayed segments (was: Potlatch update)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 9 16:27:51 BST 2007

Hi,

> On that note though, would it be feasible for someone to knock up a
> JOSM plugin that followed paths of unwayed segments and selected them
> all to make it easier to convert old data?

If everyone thinks that a "FIXME" way is better than no way at all,
one could also go over the planet file with a script and create ways
for everything that doesn't already have one, automatically grouping
connected segments into "FIXME" ways.

After that, an estimated 10% of all ways in our database would be
"FIXME" ways, but we'd have no more orphaned segments.

(My personal take is, perhaps rather radically, that "no segment at
all" is better than an unwayed segment, and I'd just delete the lot -
say any unwayed segment older than a month. That would probably
shrink the planet file by 15% overnight...)

Bye
Frederik