[OSM-dev] Unwayed segments

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed May 9 16:59:22 BST 2007

> Also they would show up in the search at
> <http://www.frankieandshadow.com/osm/?find=fixme>
> which should show all the streets that need name.

Unfortunately, not. To avoid getting loads of duplicate hits (think about
how branching ways, bridges etc are labelled: multiple, often contiguous,
ways are usually labelled identically), I cull duplicates in the index
within a tunable distance. So if you ask for "FIXME, Cambridge" you'll get
hits, but only a few of those actually present. The distance condition means
that long roads won't get just one point of reference, so if you ask for
"M11, Cambridge" you'll get a good result, and if you ask for "M11, Bishops
Stortford" (same road, 30km away), you'll get a hit in that area, but you
won't get hits for every littleseparate piece of the M11. Unfortunately
that's _is_ what you would want for FIXME.

So it'll tell you if there _are_ any FIXMEs near some place, just not all of
them.

David