[OSM-dev] Unwayed segments

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Thu May 10 08:59:28 BST 2007

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:
>>> I'm afraid that if anyone starts to delete hundreds our thousands of
>>> unwayed segments
>>>
>> 1.5 million, actually.
>>
> Do you happen to know in which area most of them are located?

Hi!

I saw several of them in more remote areas like the fränkische Schweiz
and the Altmühltal (Nürnberg area).

When I ride a motorbike I don't get a lot more information than that I'm
actually on a road (but no road or village names or such) - it's too
cumbersome to take such notes on a motorbike.

As I often saw these untagged "segment chains" done also by someone
else, I thought that's how to map streets when you don't know much more
about it. I could imagine that's the cause for a lot of those segments!

As I know now, it's much better to way them and tag them as
highway=unclassified than to leave them as "raw chained" segments -
which I formerly did. As I'll ride these areas repeatingly at the
weekends, I'm going to "wayify" them as I go - but that'll obviously
will take some time (probably months or even more to get them all).

So please don't delete such segments, it'll save me a lot of work ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: That's just another example, that we don't take the newbie by the
hand and tell him exactly what to do. Instead, we just say: Have a look
at the Wiki for the tag list and do it yourself - and leave him "in the
dark". It's a lot better to give precise examples and let the user
decide - with good reasons - to do it differently (there's already some
effort to improve this). Otherwise, a lot of diverse things will happen
which is then what's not really helpful in the long run and leave to a
lot such "artefacts" :-)