[OSM-dev] Mapnik styles

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 16:51:17 BST 2007

Hello Sebastian.

On 5/11/07, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de> wrote:

> I am working my way through OSM trac tickets as long as everything is
> dead and noticed ticket 398 (http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/398)

Maybe  we should kill the servers more often.

> Currently, highway=track renders the same as highway=cycleway in
> > Mapnik. I suggest showing them with a kind of brown color as in
> > Osmarender.
>
> I confirmed that they indeed look identical, and agree that they should
> be distinguishable. As far as I understand is Artem the Mapnik guy.
> Would that be a change that you can agree with? Would you do that? I hae
> no clue where the relevant files are stored and how Mapnik works.

Artem is indeed the 'Mapnik' guy.  Mapnik reads an XML config file that is
found here:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/mapnik/osm.xml

You'd be looking for this bit:

            <Rule>
1147        <Filter>[highway] = 'cycleway' or [highway] = 'track'</Filter>
1148        <MaxScaleDenominator>50000</MaxScaleDenominator>
1149        <LineSymbolizer>
1150          <CssParameter name="stroke">white</CssParameter>
1151          <CssParameter name="stroke-width">6</CssParameter>
1152          <CssParameter name="stroke-linejoin">round</CssParameter>
1153          <CssParameter name="stroke-linecap">round</CssParameter>
1154          <CssParameter name="stroke-opacity">0.4</CssParameter>
1155        </LineSymbolizer>
1156        <LineSymbolizer>
1157          <CssParameter name="stroke">salmon</CssParameter>
1158          <CssParameter name="stroke-width">2.0</CssParameter>
1159          <CssParameter name="stroke-dasharray">4,4</CssParameter>
1160          <CssParameter name="stroke-linejoin">round</CssParameter>
1161          <CssParameter name="stroke-linecap">round</CssParameter>
1162        </LineSymbolizer>
1163      </Rule>

It should be reasonably self explanatory - shout out if it isnt.

If you have mapnik installed, there is a python script called
generate_tiles.py that talks to Mapnik and produces image tiles.  Mapnik
reads data from a PostGIS database, so you'll need to have OSM data in
PostGIS.  These resouces might help:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/mapnik/generate_tiles.py
- Tile generation script
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapnik - Mapnik

Good luck with trac...

Spaetz

> P.S As a side note: trac has a slippy_map but no mapnik component.
> Should there be one to mark mapnik issues as such or is it overkill?

Nick Black