[OSM-dev] Status of Database Server after 0.4 Upgrade: Fragile

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat May 12 12:12:18 BST 2007

Hi,

    I am still frequently seeing "500 internal server error"s when
uploading stuff, and also when I try to render a tile with the t at h
client, in 5% to 10% of cases the server just won't reply at all (timeout).

I didn't make a big fuss about this, believing that a lot of "behind the
scenes" work is going on, that these problems must be well known and
being worked on; but today I took a look at trac and the tickets I see
there are a lot of little things that are broken - but no indication of
the fact that we're currently still in a sort of maintenance mode with a
noticeable proportion of calls to the database server simply not working.

Put in other words, our trac looks like this:

+--------------------------------+
| White Star Line                |
| HMS Titanic                    |
| To-Do List                     |
|                                |
| 1. Doorknob loose in cabin #23 |
| 2. Toilet not working in #55   |
| 3. ...                         |
on with the server, and until now I believed they're working on fixing
the obvious problems, and if this is true then just go on and ignore me.

I am just writing this on the slim chance that everybode except me
believes everything is working fine, and later I am told "why didn't you
raise the issue when you had all those errors...?"

I'll open a ticket for the internal server errors, just to be on the
safe side.

(If help is wanted identifying the problems, I am ready to try my luck
any time, but I'd need access to the db server including server-restart,
tcpdump, and strace privileges, and I can understand if you hesitate to
hand these out to just anyone. I have already tried to reproduce the
problem using a locally-installed rails server but that, being neither
under much load nor having too much data, doesn't cough up.)

Bye
Frederik