[OSM-dev] Very long ways have been split (was: Status of Database Server after 0.4 Upgrade: Fragile)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 14 00:08:13 BST 2007

Hi,

>> The coastline display in tiles at home is solved; I don't know how Mapnik
>> deals with it but Mapnik cannot reasonably expect us to have one way for
>> the whole coastline of a continent.
>
> Mapnik does not expect t at h to do anything. It only worries about how it
> renders data.

So how does Mapnik render coastlines (and the water that is on one side
of the coastline) currently, given that the coastline of anything but
the tiniest islands is not closed?

I was under the impression that this was somehow working. If it is:
Could the same mechanism not be used for other things (such as lakes) as
well? And if it isn't: Then why make a fuss about 19 lakes?

You are not seriously requesting that coastlines should be closed, are you?

> Feel free to submit a patch for osm2pgsql.c as soon as you have it
> implemented :-)

I also found the ideas detailed in your Plan B and C quite good. Feel
free to submit patches for the rails server, JOSM, and tiles at home as
soon as you have them implemented ;-)

Bye
Frederik