[OSM-dev] Very long ways have been split (was: Status of Database Server after 0.4 Upgrade: Fragile)

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon May 14 01:24:17 BST 2007

On 13 May 2007, at 17:37, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Maybe I overreacted a bit to Steve's post. I said that the system is
> still fragile. To someone working primarily from the planet file, this
> is probably hardly noticeable - but I am very unhappy with the
> performance of the API at present, and I wanted to help getting it
> fixed, preferably within a timeframe of a few days, not a few weeks.

FWIW splitting ways is what I would have done so I support Frederik.
I can see the point of not returning them in the map call if they're
too large... but on balance it's only a small number of ways affected.

I also understand the point that the API 'should' handle these large
things but it 'should' do many things. Alas it's not someones CS
thesis project and we have to make practical decisions with limited
amounts of resources to throw at problems. You can't really fault
Frederik for just going ahead and fixing it.

Not so long ago we could only render white lines on top of landsat[1]
so I'm sure we'll be able to cope with shorter ways somehow.

[1] - http://www.blacksworld.net/blog/?p=93

have fun,