[OSM-dev] Very long ways have been split (was: Status of Database Server after 0.4 Upgrade: Fragile)

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon May 14 14:32:51 BST 2007

On 5/13/07, Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> How about
>
> Plan B:
> =======
> - If a way is too large to return, don't return it!
> - Instead perhaps we can add a new tag which says something like:
>
> <way id=12345 segs_excluded="true" seg_count="5000" >
> <tag k=... >
> [ more tags, but no segments ]
> </way>

Wouldn't this mean that when the 5001th segment is added the whole way
becomes completely and permanently uneditable?

Any editor that uses the API would never be able to download such a way and
so could never modify it.

Admittedly a second call could be made to explicitly download the incomplete
way but that gets us back to the JOSMs Download Incomplete Ways method which
I never thought was very satisfactory.

80n