[OSM-dev] Ask University for support?

Matthew Newton matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Thu May 10 09:31:24 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 03:20:48PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Sebastian Spaeth schreef:
> > The IIRC channel is bursting from good suggestions on how to improve OSM
> > infrastructure. I wanted to ask if there's interest in getting some
> > support from e.g. Universities to support OSM.
>
> Last week people of the Law department of the University of Amsterdam
> (heavily working on GIS) were very surprised this project was completely
> free. Might be a string to pull too.

I've got a UML virtual machine (same idea as Bytemark but more disk/ram)
waiting for OSM here at the University of Leicester. People were talking
about ideas for it a few weeks ago, but things have gone quiet now, apart
from one suggestion from 80n.

Problem would be lack of disk space for a full tile server, but if some sort
of distributed system for serving tiles could be set up, then this would be
ideal (40Gb of space here, and it was a push getting that so I can't really
ask for more).

I've been using it for the last few days to play with new ideas for t at h
backends, but if there is a good use then it's available.

Squid proxy cache would be an easy possibility, although others have already
done that. Maybe with it dangling off the Internet on a 1Gbps pipe makes it
a good choice for that sort of thing, though.

--
Matthew