[OSM-dev] Very long ways have been split

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue May 15 11:02:59 BST 2007

> I remember having discussed this with Martijn on the list. There were
> (vague) plans to create costal and ocean tiles that could be used either
> as a "background" layer for normally rendered tiles or merged with these
> in a bitmap operation, so that OSM could be completely ignorant of where
> the coastline is.
>
> Martijn was in favour of such a solution, saying that it is very
> inefficient to keep all that static data in the database (and render it
> every time!).

I still think it's inefficient, however I do think the current
solution isn't that bad, certainly much less awkward than I thought it
would be (I hadn't considered the possibility of something like
close-areas.pl, which is an amazingly cool solution).

> My counter-argument was that (1) I want to see the coastline while I am
> editing, and (2) I want to have the power to move it, right there and
> right then, in my editor, if it seems wrong. Having the data in some
> sort of external repository where mappers cannot change it (or only with
> special tools) seemed to me so un-OSM-ish.

And certainly this way seems to be much better at motivating people to
work on it...

> Even if we decide to move away from having the data in our database (and
> I could well imagine coastline data residing on a different server, with
> a matching JOSM plugin to work on it, and rendering special tiles from
> there), we'll at least have high quality data then.

In the future I would love the whole system to work towards a more
layered approach, where the coastlines could be served from one
server, country boundaries from another, road data from anonther. This
could then also include, for example, height contours. For normal
editing they'd get in the way, but every now and then it'd be nice to
be able to have them as a background for reference.

Maybe with it being so much easier for people to setup their own OSM
server, we might see this in the not so distant future...

Have a nice day,