[OSM-dev] Set up rails on dev server -- what comes next?

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue May 15 21:30:57 BST 2007

Have now installed rails + the database on my space on the dev server. I tried
running

nick at dev:~/svn.openstreetmap.org/sites/rails_port$ ruby script/server&

and got some initialisation information which suggested it had started OK.
Note that I had to start it in the background - leaving the ampersand off did
not automatically background it. Is that expected behaviour?

How can I contact the rails server from a web browser? After installing
rails_port to /var/www/nick on dev, I entered

http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org:3000/rails_port/

but am not getting a response from the server.

Also what would be the URL of API calls? Has anyone tried installing the rails
port on either dev, or their own private server space (as opposed to their
home box?)

Finally, has anyone generated any Rails-port-compatible SQL to populate the
database with?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions!

Thanks,
Nick