[OSM-dev] Very long ways have been split (was: Status of Database Server after 0.4 Upgrade: Fragile)

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed May 16 12:35:30 BST 2007

Kristian Thy wrote:

> More importantly (to me), why are we systematically destroying
> data to fit into some arbitrary tool?

The lake is still there in physical molecules of water.  The sole
purpose of trying to create a digital representation of its shape
is to use that representation in some tool.  Not only JOSM, but
any tool you can think of will have a problem with data format
definitions that require completeness.  Some lakes (or roads or
mountain ranges) are very large and we might not not be able to
map all of it.  All of our solutions and defintions must be
designed so that they can handle representations of fractions of
reality, such as one third of a lake.  The definition that the
periphery of a lake must be a single "way" is, in my mind, a
broken defintion, and only useful for small ponds.  Currently I
don't think we have any working tool to correctly render large
lakes defined that way (with natural=water).  Instead, we're now
drawing large lakes as coastlines (with natural=coastline).

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)