[OSM-dev] Mapnik vs Osmarender (was: A proposal for linking multiple ways...)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 17 00:42:18 BST 2007

Hi,

    just going off on this tangent:

> I'm sure the coastline rendering would be more consistent if we
> developed something which was used by both mapnik and osmarender.

As I have said before, I personally view osmarender/tiles at home as a more
flexible, more playful, almost "rapid prototyping" thingie where we can
develop ideas and quickly try them out, and Mapnik on the other hand as
a more heavyweight, more formal, more "correct" solution where we can
introduce concepts that have proven useful.

In the long run, we will have one or more Mapnik-like central renderers,
I am pretty sure about that; but meanwhile, holding back development in
tiles at home until solutions common to both worlds can be found would kill
off one of the main advantages of tiles at home.

Bye
Frederik