[OSM-dev] RAILS memory leaks

Dan Moore writetodan at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 17:22:32 BST 2007

fyi,

running Rails (repeated same map?bbox calls) on rexml instead of ruby-libxml approximately halves the memory leaks - yes, rexml leaks also :(.  if you omit only the xml output step, memory use stabilises.

well, that's afaict, but i'm no ruby expert.  i posted this to rails forum, but either the question is too dumb or no-one else knows nothing neither:  http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=5714

i guess there's a few ways forward:
 1 - as now, just restart server processes every so often
 2 - roll our own ruby xml output (prob. not as quick as libxml)
 3 - move to json output as preferred (assuming json impl doesn't leak)
 4 - go java/perl/python*
 5 - go native
 6 - give up and go home
*insert doctrine here

let me know any suggestions. as reflected in order of the list, i'm tempted to shelve this at this point.
cheers, dan.

____________________________________________________________________________________Give spam the boot. Take control with tough spam protection in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.