[OSM-dev] running a local server

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Nov 2 16:50:49 GMT 2007

>Whatever you have would be useful, in whatever state!  I'm currently
>downloading the GeoTIFF files covering the UK, but I'm unsure where to
>go next - apart from creating shapefiles using gdal_contour (thanks
>Richard and Martijn).

I could never find the GeoTIFF files - hence why I used my own solution
(using .hgt files as input) rather than gdal_contour. I think another
factor was I wanted feet, not metres (for possibly irrational reasons
including the fact that 1000ft sounds much more impressive than a mere 300
metres, also my first ever walking map back in the eighties had heights in
feet, so I "learnt" the height of my local hills in feet!)

Guess if you've got the geotiff files though, the whole process will be
simpler.

Nick