[OSM-dev] osmosis utf-8

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:24:46 GMT 2007

On 11/6/07, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> Martijn, I can try your trick and suspect it may work but it's going to
> be a lot of coding effort due to jdbc string reads occurring all over
> the shop in osmosis. If the MySQL latin1 differs from java ISO8859_1
> then I'm screwed anyway. I'm also concerned that it will only work for
> characters that fit into the latin1 encoding, I wonder what would happen
> to other characters such as chinese.

That's annoying. The only thing I can suggest is that JDBC seems to
provide interfaces for remapping types, maybe it's possible to map the
mysql string to something that works like string but with a different
constructer that handles the remapping.

I think your fears about the latin1 encoding is unfounded. The use of
"latin1" is merely what the ruby client is using to connect to the
server. You're just replicating the bug.

Have a nice day,