[OSM-dev] GPL stupidity

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 8 14:52:24 GMT 2007

Hi,

    the world is full of people who make us sign contracts where you
"confirm that you have read and understood" stuff that you never
actually read or understood, and we're not even bothered by that, it's
just normal everyday fear-of-being-sued or whatever. I think it is
stupid but I'm getting used to it.

To those of you who regularly prepend their software contributions to
OSM with the sentence:

"You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301, USA."

- have you thought of what you're writing there? If someone downloads
source code from our SVN, in what way "should" they "have received" a
copy of the GPL, and would anyone of you, when asked for the text of the
GPL, actually respond with "write to the FSF"?

No?

Then why you do you put that note in your software?

Bye
Frederik