[OSM-dev] GPL stupidity

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 8 18:39:39 GMT 2007

Hi,

> > - have you thought of what you're writing there? If someone downloads
> > source code from our SVN, in what way "should" they "have received" a
> > copy of the GPL,
>
> Some projects put the GPL on the server as well, so people can download it the
> same way as they download the source.

The GPL is in numerous places on our SVN, even in the root directory,
but you do not "receive it" with a program that you download unless
you explicitly ask for it.

> > and would anyone of you, when asked for the text of the
> > GPL, actually respond with "write to the FSF"?
>
> If you do not receive a copy, you can complain about the distributor to the
> FSF. Isn't that the meaning of "write to the FSF?"

Oh, I never read it that way. So the license expects me to send
physical mail to the FSF whenever I check out a file from our SVN?

Bye
Frederik