[OSM-dev] Defining the area of a country / What country is a LatLon in.

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:00:43 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 20:46 +0100, Marcus Wolschon wrote:

> Thank you,
>
> however I am looking for a consensus for a standard-rule to document on
> the wiki and implement in the OsmNavigation -library that Traveling-
> Salesman uses for routing. It cannot parse shape-files (because osmosis
>  can't) and I would rather use the data already provided in the existing
> map. Political borders change over the years and the rule should only be
> defined ones for all routers that are to be extended to use OSM-data
> in addition to their existing map-formats.

AFAIK osmosis can not take an arbitrary .osm file to use as a boundary
either. Shapefiles are a generic format and can be converted into a list
of points defining a polygon bounding box relatively easily.

Any borders you get from the OSM data are going to have many thousands
of nodes with way more detail than you probably require. From what I
recall, Brett said previously that the osmosis bounding box task was not
optimised for bounding boxes with this many nodes and would probably be
really slow.

	Jon