[OSM-dev] parent ways of a node - 400 error

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Fri Nov 23 11:20:33 GMT 2007

Hello Tom,

Re: whether to return a blank document or a 404 error (not 400) when we're
trying to find the parent ways of a node, and that node has no parent ways: I
would probably say that the blank XML document (with 200 OK) would be the
most appropriate as it still seems to me this is not an error condition.

By way of contrast, the 410 Gone when trying to retrieve a deleted node does
seem appropriate, as this seems to me to be a genuine error condition.

However if an HTTP error code does need to be returned, I'd agree a 404 is
definitely more appropriate than a 400.

Nick