[OSM-dev] nopage=?argument for searching by tag

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Nov 23 11:52:13 GMT 2007

In message <4746BC08.2030300 at wolschon.biz>
        Marcus Wolschon <marcus at wolschon.biz> wrote:

> I noticed that
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.5#Searching_for_Objects_by_Tag
> does not allow a page-attribute like the other queries.
> How hard would it be to add that?
>
> This renders this call useless for
> * fetching the motorway-network or
> * fetching all country-borders.
>
> I think this would be a good and simple addition and make
> the protcoll more consistent. What does everyone else think?

The point of the limit on what you can fetch is that it is very
hard for the server to find the result rows - paging the result
does not make it any easier, though it does reduce the memory
requirements.

Basically the core schema is not up to doing the kind of retrieval
you are talking about.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)