[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Software development - most pressing issues

Thu Nov 29 15:20:53 GMT 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:

> In message <20071129151236.fqzrjjv40w8cg8ks at webmail.systemed.net>
>         Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>> 1. Near-instant updating of Mapnik layer to show user's changes
>
> Maybe we should to things that are likely to be achievable?

Well, it depends on your definition of "near". Five seconds probably
requires a supercomputer. Five hours doesn't and would still be an
enormous improvement.

> Me I would vote for making Potlatch use the main API, or at least
> rewriting the Potlatch API code to use the rails object model.

If the latter could be done while retaining the same performance I'd
be 100% up for it. I'm pretty emphatic that it still needs to speak
AMF rather than XML though, but given that all the AMF Ruby code is
there and stable, that's not much of an issue.

That said I haven't seen any Rails object model programmers
implementing rollback recently. ;)

cheers
Richard