[OSM-dev] Hourly Diffs

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Fri Nov 30 01:05:08 GMT 2007

Sorry, I think I've run out of time, I'm hoping to get out of here in a
few hours and I still have a fair bit to get done.  I can fix it up when
I get back in two weeks although that is probably too late.

The reason I'm using gz is because I'm streaming the data direct from db
to file and the java bz2 implementation I'm using isn't very fast.  The
daily scripts are using the command line bzip2 running at nice 10 after
the database read has completed.  I suspect the java gz implementation
uses native code, it's very fast (hourly extract takes approx 30 seconds
clock time).  I was trying to avoid holding locks on the main db for too
long.

I was going to disable it while I was away but it seems to be running
okay and is very quick (minimal extra load on dev) so I'll leave it running.