[OSM-dev] extract_polygon_0.5.pl bugs

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Oct 1 19:36:43 BST 2007

Hi,

> I did my counting backwards hack mostly to avoid allocating another
> 250MB of RAM with another set of Bit::Vector objects, *and* to allow
> positive and negative integers.
>
> Still haven't gotten to cleaning up the patch to a bare minimum.
> Hopefully I'll get to it tonight.

The 0.4 polygon extract tool used Perl hashes for everything and it
worked ok if the areas were not too big.

May I suggest to keep the existing Bit::Vector strategy for positive
IDs and recurse to the old hashtable strategy for negative numbers,
assuming that there will not be too many of them.

The counting backwards thing is probably ok as well but I suspect it
requires a hefty amount of checks and balances in order not to break
things...

Bye
Frederik