[OSM-dev] gazetteer.openstreetmap.org for name finder?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Oct 1 20:12:24 BST 2007

I need to do some work on Name Finder for the 0.5 API, and I thought I'd
  try to do a few other things at the same time, like rewriting it to
work incrementally on the planet diff and/or do some in C++ (I was going
to redo it in rails, but since it is now unmanageably slow to create the
index in PHP given the size of the planet file, rails is unlikely to be
any better). (Searches have slowed down a little, but it is the index
creation which is desperately in need of work).

Also, someone a while back suggested we create a set of web pages which
index names from OSM so that Google searches for them will lead people
to OSM, I thought I might try doing something like that as a side effect
of creating the dynamic index.

And most to the point, to support that and regularise the whole thing,
I'd like to put it on an OSM server.

I wonder if we could have a new subdomain (say
gazetteer.openstreetmap.org) which I could have ssh access to, and a
mySQL database to start doing all this? Who should I liaise with about
this? Is the PHP module running in to our web server (IIRC it's not
Apache, is it?)?

Thanks,
David