[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql latest - Can it write out the SQL?

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:19:15 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 20:28 +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Does the latest osm2pgsql (checked out of SVN on Saturday) have to write to a
> pgsql database or can it output the SQL directly? The reason why I ask is, my
> approach to getting the data into Freemap so far is to run osm2pgsql on the
> dev server then transfer the SQL to Freemap, as the Freemap server doesn't
> have the memory to run osm2pgsql.

The code currently can not output the SQL as it runs.

Have you tried running the code recently? It is a lot more frugal on
memory than it was previously. Loading the entirety of the current
planet has a peak memory usage of just 620MB. If you just want a UK
subset then it should be significantly less than this.

Make sure you do an 'svn up' on the osm2pgsql code. There have been some
critical fixes done today.

	Jon