[OSM-dev] JS-generated History Display

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Oct 17 13:15:34 BST 2007

Hi,

> Red for deletes, green for adds, yellow for changes, now.
> I'd love some feedback on whether people think this is a good/bad/ugly
> idea.

Looks very good to me. Looks could be improved my using a yellow-ish/
green-ish background instead of border, and a strikethrough display
for the deleted items, and I would list the full data (including
unchanged) only for the initial and current versions, not all in
between.

If you want to drop in extra cool eye candy, one thing I always
wanted is a kind of "timeline" display, just a bar starting "then"
and ending "now" with dots on it where there were changes, and by
selecting the dots you see who changed something and what was
changed. Probably overkill, however, since a very big percentage of
OSM data is never changed after being created.

Another thing concerning history, which you cannot do something about
on your site but which me might think about, is whether and how we
could tag ways being split so that the original way (which is
shortened) somehow points to the new way. This would enable us to
show history entries like "way split, other portion here..." (but the
"here" is not known at the time the way is split).

Bye
Frederik