[OSM-dev] Basic GPX parser in OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Oct 18 17:09:52 BST 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 05:04:40PM +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Ludwig M Brinckmann wrote:
>
> > I would recommend however to not draw lines between different tracks -- mine
> > are often separated by miles and then I get meaningless lines from the end
> > of one to the start of the next.
>
> You can parse this quite elementarily - if difference in timestamp >n,
> don't draw a line. If no timestamps at all, don't draw any lines (he
> says glibly, not having implemented that bit in Potlatch yet).

That would imply parsing the date at all -- I was assuming that the
request was about different <trksegs>... adding date parsing to the code
would probably be an okay option, but wouldn't work for large
datasets... More performance evaluation is clearly needed though. Maybe
i'm overestimating the amount of time used to parse timestamps in JS.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta