[OSM-dev] Potlatch based OSM walkers editor

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Oct 19 10:55:01 BST 2007

In message <41DAB514-AF6B-46B8-9B55-87A726B29680 at systemed.net>
        Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>
>>> I guess you've got svn access so could commit one - would need to go
>>> in /sites/rails_port/public/ .
>>
>> OK - how quickly would this get onto the server?
>
> If you ask Tom Hughes he can deploy your changes for you.

Of course if you're talking about something potentially security
sensitive like this then you might need to convince me ;-)

As it happens I looked at crossdomain.xml issues earlier in the week
when Richard started talking about it and, if I've understood things
correctly then I don't think there is a problem.

That said I don't fully understand what the threat model is that the
Flash restrictions that crossdomain.xml overrides help to deal with

> It might be sensible, though, if you were to set up a Rails port
> instance on your development machine there, and test your changes
> there before connecting an externally-hosted Potlatch instance to the
> main server. The Potlatch API isn't really intended as "public-
> facing" and so it may take a bit of getting used to.

Exposing the Potlatch API more widely is definitely a concern
actually - specifically the fact that it (at least in part) pushes
out the responsibility for maintaining database integrity to the
client.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)