[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Mapnik tileset coherency issues

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 19 13:37:16 BST 2007

On 19/10/2007, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> I believe ext3 gets upset at more than 32000 'links' pointing to a
> directory. (This is why TileCache has super-deep directory structure.)
> So although lots of files in a directory is fine, lots of directories in
> a directory was not... but my memory is poor. This was ext3 ... ah, yes:
>
> "Apparently when using ext2 or ext3 there's a limit on the number of
> subdirectories you can create within a directory. This is a hardcoded
> number and seems to be set to about 2^15 ~= 32k."
>
> http://www.rooftopsolutions.nl/article/135

I know Squid uses a hashed directory hierachy. I believe it limits a
single directory to 256 entries.

If we setup squid in a reverse-proxy type setup then it could take
care of storing the tiles for us. I wonder if squid has the necessary
hooks to allow a rendering engine to be hooked directly into the cache
instead of needing a backend web server & module.

--
    Jon