[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM home page map with permlink or

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Oct 21 12:17:48 BST 2007

On 20/10/2007 23:55, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <4719DDD3.6030909 at frankieandshadow.com>
>           David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>
>> As previous conversations have discussed at length, the URL should
>> reflect changes as you pan/zoom etc. This requires the use of psuedo
>> named anchors and iframes instead of a query portion of the URL. There's
>> lots of information out there on the internet on how to achieve this.
>
> It's very non-trivial though because rails doesn't know how to parse
> the arguments from such URLs, so you're either going to have to wait
> for me to have time or somebody is going to have to step up to the
> plate and do the work.

If I understand what's needed correctly, the URL handling is all done
client side in Javascript, plus by the browser itself in how it stores
things in its history list and so on; the JS decomposes the bit after
the # and makes a request on the server for the state it represents, in
whatever form is convenient for the server.

I have to do this for another Ajaxy project at some point, so if I get a
chance I'll try to come up with something.

David