[OSM-dev] Creating Easy Map Embedding

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Oct 22 15:01:46 BST 2007

Why don't we create a distributed tile server, so the load can be spread
around? Then we do have "infinite resources like Google".

It could be done geographically, but that might be uneven - for example
consider what would have happened to the poor person who was hosting the
Oxford area today.

Would an index be too big to distribute? If we worked on zoom 12 tiles,
you'd want say 100 bytes for mapping each tile index to the relevant
server (which I'd allocate at random and shuffle around as tiles are
updated) the index would be about 160Mb: big, but not enormous. Equally,
we could, like the DNS system, have several index servers, but fewer
than the number of tile servers. This would allow us to distribute tiles
at finder granularity as well with bigger index files.

So a tile request would immediately and be bounced to a random index
server, which would bounce to the host for that tile, or return the URL
to the client who can then make the requests direct to the myriad tile
servers. (We could batch up the index requests in that 2 step version as
someone is likely to want more than one neighbouring tile).

David