[OSM-dev] Creating Easy Map Embedding

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Oct 22 16:38:26 BST 2007

On 22/10/2007 16:27, Andy Allan wrote:
> What problem are we trying to solve?

It appears that the current server is unable to deliver tiles
efficiently, given the number of failures presently; and the discussion
arose partly because of the speculation that Oxford University
"borrowing" tiles would overwhelm the server.

> Bandwidth is effectively unlimited...

So it is the server itself then.

> If it's the load on the machines, then we would be much better off
> with tile1 - tile5 all sitting behind a load balancer and under the
> control of the same person in the same facility.

Perhaps so, but would require continuous investment to cope with demand.
That was the "we aren't Google" problem where this started.

BitTorrent and Skype have both demonstrated the value of distribution
though.

> But I think a reasonable setup would be to offer free use of
> tiles.osm.org bandwidth up to a certain monthly limit, at which point
> we would expect third parties to host (if not render) their own tiles.
> So small websites have a low barrier of entry, and those big enough
> for us to notice are asked to provide their own resources.

Possibly so.

David