[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] TIGER, which states next?

natashafatale.54532583 at bloglines.com natashafatale.54532583 at bloglines.com
Tue Oct 23 20:49:30 BST 2007

Dave - I think Maryland is pretty empty except for Rick's Frederick.  I'd
like to see Anne Arundel next.

As to existing data, what to do might depend
on whether it were streets or highways.  We wouldn't want to make a mess of
a carefully crafted street map.  If it's just highways, though, as it has
mostly been in Howard, Maryland, it turns out not to be much of an issue.
 Visually the roads that were already there appear much the same after the
TIGER upload as before.  When I get around to it, I delete the old or the
new one, keeping whichever seems better (usually the TIGER, unless it is just
wrong, because it connects to the other TIGER streets).

Tom Permutt

PS Hi neighbor Rick.

--- Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net wrote:

wrote:

> > >I'm basically out of empty states to upload. I've done Oregon,

> > >Washington, Montana, North/South Dakota, Alabama and Georgia.  Should

> > >just start uploading over existing data, or are there some large swaths

> > >of states out there that I can put in the queue?

> > I was told
you were uploading individual counties.  Are you only

> > uploading where
there are no existing tracks?

> I've been doing entire states where people
told me they were empty, or

> that I could plainly see they were empty.

> But, I think it's about time we came up with a policy for what to do

> with existing data.

> > I was also told that if I were working in
a county, I should ask you

> > to expedite the upload for that location.
 I am working mainly in

> > Frederick county Maryland, but will also be
working in adjacent

> > counties such as Carroll, MD and Washington, MD.
 I think Howard and

> > Montgomery are already done.  All of this is near
Washington, DC.