[OSM-dev] JOSM:searching for tags with colons; searching for multiple keys; layers

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 09:41:22 BST 2007

On 9/1/07, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> further, it would be very cool to be able to either search for multiple
> keys (tiger:cfcc=A51&name=Foo street) or search within previous results
>  ("subtract all non-matching from selection") (The actual case I was
> looking for was to find all railways that I had tagged so I could delete
> it in favor of the more complete/accurate TIGER rail data -- so I wanted
> to search created_by:JOSM and railway:rail).  Either method would
> achieve the same thing, and would thus be satisfactory to me.

You can search for multiple things at once, the parser supports
logical AND/OR. Similarly "subtract non-matching from selection" can
be done using the keyword "selection" which matches only the current
selection. Thus searching for "selection railway" matches only tags
with railway in the current selection.

Did you try the double-quotes? It does treat them specially while
parsing the search string.

The search function of JOSM is not extensively documented, but it's
more powerful than it appears at first glance.  Maybe I'll write a
wiki page on it one day. What would be nice is if the entry box in the
search dialog stored all your old searches.

Have a nice day,