[OSM-dev] Too many slow queries in db

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 00:28:48 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 00:08 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <200709040850140140.0A99AA0F at smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au>
>           "Brent Easton" <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > >Yeah sure. My magic query accelerator will sort it all out.
> > >
> > >Seriously, if you've got a magic way to make a database query
> > >a 100 million row table in the blink of an eyelid I'll be only
> > >to happy to deploy it.
> >
> > So, what where the plans again to handle queries on a 2 billion row table
> > post TIGER?
>
> Um, we don't have one?
>
> Seriously, I think it is (a) get a proper database and (b) find somebody
> with sufficient experience of designing hardware and software solutions
> for massive database to make it work.

I'm still making progress with investigating a high speed tiger import
process. It it too early to give any hard numbers but the signs are
promising that we'll be able to achieve something significantly faster.

I've also got some evidence that the 758M object size quoted on the
tiger stats page is wrong, with the true figure being only half that
size. I'm still downloading more of the data to confirm this.

	Jon