[OSM-dev] Too many slow queries in db

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Sep 4 08:36:07 BST 2007

In message <20070904025956.B39700-100000 at xs2.xs4all.nl>
        Stefan de Konink <skinkie at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Jon Burgess wrote:
>
>> As you mentioned, gaining the experience of handling this volume of data
>> is critical to the import being successful.
>
> In that case: stick with MySQL for the time, import your own data into
> this new server. And implement this 'proxy'. Now, I can understand that
> you would like to host this 'new' server close to the proxy, in respect
> to bandwidth.

Do you know how the proxy handle allocation of new values to
auto increment columns? That seems like a major problem with
splitting up the data to me?

To be honest, somebody pointed out this proxy thing before and I did
have a look at it then and found the web page very hand-wavy and
lacking in any serious detail or documentation. It looks like it
is a bit new and maybe not very mature? or is that just me?

What really isn't clear to me is why we would want it, and what it
can do for us - and what the cost would be. Presumably it adds in
some extra overhead, especially if you have to start writing scripts
in an interpreted language to make it do what you want, which it what
it looks like to me.

If the only reason you think it is useful is as a way to split the
data over multiple physical machines, then I have to say that I'm
not sure we've reached that point yet - we may do with all the Tiger
data but it sounds like Jon is looking at that and in the meantime
there are other things I think we can do.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/