[OSM-dev] Too many slow queries in db

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 09:31:17 BST 2007

On 9/4/07, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> Can we build a list of possible improvement areas over current
> database?  This would less any alternatives be measured quantitively.
> For example:

All the features you list are well supported by postgresql as well, so
we have choice.

Back to the original point: while the OSM database looks but, on the
scale of biggness it's not really there yet. We're having scaling
problems but nothing that requires super-duper hardware to deal with.
Just better software and DB layout. The usual methods for dealing with
large amounts or data are:

- Partitioning, obviously. I'd suggest dividing the world by
longitude, say every 30 or 45 degrees. In the future we may want to
consider latitude splitting but not at this points
- For our use case, spatial indexes

It's not rocket science.  It just needs to be written... (not
voluntering just now)

Have a nice day,