[OSM-dev] upload josm files from console

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 22:42:09 BST 2007

Dave Hansen wrote:
>Sent: 04 September 2007 9:36 PM
>To: Frederik Ramm
>Cc: osm-dev
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] upload josm files from console
>
>On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 22:22 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Dave,

>that
>> >
>> > I have patches to fix this by retrying if you're interested.  I posted
>> > them to the JOSM list a week or so ago.
>>
>> Where exactly did you post them (and under what subject)? I seem to have
>missed
>> that. Imi seems a bit occupied with other things so I could probably
>> commit your patches if I managed to find them ;-)
>
>I've attached my original post and Imi's reply.  He wasn't a big fan of
>the patch.

I think Imi's response is a bit shortsighted. While I agree that its
pointless bombarding the server if its returning 500's there is a real issue
with respect to server timeouts making it a less than ideal experience for
even a normal JOSM user, and for a mega user (eg a TIGER county import) a
real problem. However this of course is not a JOSM problem, its one we
should seek to fix at the server end in the longer term. In the meantime I
think that automatically retrying after a timeout is a wholly acceptable
practice in JOSM and a 10 second delay at the first instance seems
appropriate. Perhaps if that fails the retry time is doubled so that it
never gets out of hand.

Cheers

Andy