[OSM-dev] Mapnik XML file?

Andreas Volz lists at brachttal.net
Sun Sep 9 16:15:03 BST 2007

Am Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:11:38 +0200 schrieb Joerg Ostertag:

> > > I started to collect all the icons/symbols for our maps in the
> > > svn-directory
> > > http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/share/map-icons/.  This
> > > directory should contain all needed icons. If there are icons
> > > missing in there, please add them.
> >
> > Problem: I've no SVN access at OSM. Where could I get it?
>
> Downloading should be possible via svn even without svn account.

> > > please add them

I would expect SVN write access to add icons and features. Patches may
be an alternative.

> > Ok, looks nice. Some comments:
> >
> > - The class tags are still used on the website.
>
> It's there to have those roads also rendered.

Hm, what's about to replace old (e.g. class) tags direct in the
database? Should be possible to do it automatic.

BTW: What database type stores the original OSM data source? PostgreSQL?

> > Also some OSM
> > unknown tags like "poi" are used. Is that only because nobody
> > removed them? Or has gpsdrive an own subset of tags?
>
> That's a gpsdrive subset.

Is this because of historic reasons? I think in the long term it's bad
if every application defines other tags. Mappers are complete confused
which tags to use.

> > -> Currently you put icons into SVN. It may be a problem to write
> > icons to SVN from a website(?).
>
> I think it currently is a good idea to only add icons via svn,
> because the need to be PD-licenced to make them usable in
> OSM(CC-by-SA) and applications like GpsDrive(GPL)

And you think people with SVN access are more respect of the CC-by-SA
as people uploading icons in a web interface?

regards
Andreas