[OSM-dev] Final kinks in osmosis planet dumping

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Sep 10 07:40:37 BST 2007

Hi,

> > **** 3. Re-ordered attributes.
> > osmosis is writing element attributes in a different order to planet.rb.
>
> This is potentially a problem for close-areas.pl in osmarender (which
> parses XML due to regexps, eww) - not saying that this ordering will
> necessarily break things,

It doesn't for close-areas.pl; that particular script only makes the
assumption that:

* For nodes, "id" comes before "lat" and that comes before "lon"
  (stuff in between them is ignored)
* For segments, "id" comes before "from" and that comes before "to"
  (again, stuff in between is ignored)
* For tags, "k" comes before "v"

Furthermore, close-areas.pl is, hopefully, not one of those scripts
that run against the planet file!

One of the scripts that will probably break is the
planetosm-excerpt-area script as it doesn't allow stuff between "id"
and "lat" on a node; I'm sure there will be others but as I said
before, just because some people are using regular expressions to
parse the XML that doesn't mean we have to do their bidding ;-)

Bye
Frederik