[OSM-dev] Final kinks in osmosis planet dumping

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 08:34:33 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 08:33 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > **** 4. Additional indenting whitespace.
> > osmosis is currently using 4 space indenting, planetrb is using 2
> space
> > indenting.
> > I can change osmosis to use 2 space indenting if it helps reduce
> file
> > sizes.  Should I drop it to 1 space indenting to further reduce file
> size?
>
> Again, I can imagine some very simple regex parsers choking on this
> but they'll have to be fixed anyway.

Aside from the historical regex parsers why do we have any space
indenting in the planet.osm file?  In the first planet file I found on
my filesystem (late July) it has 110478125 lines, at a guesstimate
average of 4 bytes indenting per line that's 441912500 bytes of wasted
space!

It would be a nice task to write a simple tool that stripped the
indenting and new lines from the most recent planet.osm file to allow
accurate comparison of file sizes.  If I get time I'll try and do this
in the next couple of days - unless someone beats me to it.

Keith.