[OSM-dev] Renderer request: railroad

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Mon Sep 10 23:13:44 BST 2007

80n wrote:
> I think it would be good if we had a general consensus on how to tag the
> lifecycle of anything:
>
> * proposed
> * under_construction
> * disused
> * dismantled
> * ruins
> * archaeological  (no visible traces at ground level unless excavated)
> * putative (supposed or commonly believed location)
>
> Any other possibilities?

That sounds good to me, though "putative" seems unlikely to be useful
(IMO).  "lifecycle" for the key?

What about logging roads and the like which have become overgrown with
trees, to the point where while the grade is detectable and perhaps you
can see that all the trees along the path of the road are younger than
the rest, there's little evidence otherwise that a road existed?
"overgrown" maybe, though that doesn't seem strong enough to me. ...
something between "dismantled" and "ruins" -- something that suggests
that it was disused, but has been for so long that it's effectively been
dismantled naturally.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"