[OSM-dev] Renderer request: railroad

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Mon Sep 10 22:55:21 BST 2007

Abigail Brady wrote:
> On 9/10/07, *Shaun McDonald* <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
> <mailto:shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk>> wrote:
>
>     There is also railway=disused, which is on the map features page, but
>     isn't currently rendered. I have tried to use it near me, but it's
>     not rendered. Maybe we should render both of them the same?
>

> disused and abandoned sound good.

Abandoned probably shouldn't render, as it is specifically for railway
grades where the tracks have been removed.  Perhaps a variation of the
current rail rendering, with the "ties" removed would work well, or with
a larger (say, every 1/2" or 3/4") gap between "ties".

However, there should probably be a "railway=unknown" added and
rendered, as that corresponds with the tiger:cfcc=b16 value.

> I've tagged a few railway lines in Leicestershire and surrounds which
> don't exist anymore as railway=dismantled - it would be a bit odd if the
> route of the ECML branch through the eastern Leicester suburbs were to
> be rendered, as it went on viaducts that simply don't exist anymore.  I
> hope eventually to tag it with information as to when it closed, to
> allow period maps to be rendered...

That should probably be retagged as railway=abandoned and
railway=viaduct;abandoned. (the latter for the case of the bit that was
on viaducts).

-Alex Mauer "hawke"