[OSM-dev] Renderer request: railroad

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Sep 11 16:15:11 BST 2007

spaetz wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:22:50PM +0100, Abigail Brady wrote:
>
>> disused and abandoned sound good.
>
> Maybe it's just me being a non-native speaker, and having bother being rendered is certainly no biggie. But I can't see a difference between those two terms which would be big enough to require any distinction.

The only distinction is artificial: abandoned means that whatever it's
talking about has been removed, while disused means it's still there but
no longer used. In the case of train tracks, where this value
originated, it means that the grade remains but the tracks and ties have
been removed.

> Can't we just bulk-change one to the other to make it consistent? I do love tag anarchy, but when it comes to teaching the renderers to deal with that, I stop being fond of it :)

No, because they have different meanings.  Read the map features page
for details. (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_features#Railway )

-Alex Mauer "hawke"