[OSM-dev] API 0.5 is on the way

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Fri Sep 14 23:10:35 BST 2007

Hi,

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> The changeover from 0.4 to 0.5 will do away with segments, and at once
> remove all complexity associated with them - "unordered ways", "unwayed
> segments", and so on. The planet file will shrink by 40%, and API

A question that occurred to me this evening while fixing some unordered
ways: what will happen to forked ways?  I've just fixed up several cases
where there was a way like this:

                  /
                 /
                2
               /
              /
-----1----->
              \
               \
                3
                 \
                  \

Will this get automatically translated into two ways, or three ways, or
will it break horribly?  I've also seen a couple of cases where segments
1 to 4 of a way have been in one place whilst segments 5 and 6 were
completely separated, some hundreds of metres away.  Will those cases
also get handled nicely?

--
Jon