[OSM-dev] API 0.5 is on the way

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Sep 15 18:41:44 BST 2007

Hi,

> >> A question that occurred to me this evening while fixing some unordered
> >> ways: what will happen to forked ways?
> >
> > These will be split into as many parts as required.

[...]

> Will those become members of a relation?

Currently we have automatic relation creation only for the "areas with
holes" type of way. Other ways with branches or non-contiguous parts
are split without creating a relation.

It could be done but I'd rather not - I would prefer that people think
of a good way to use relations to group ways, play around with that,
"evolve" a good solution, instead of us creating a precedent for
"superways" that everyone is bound to follow.

Bye
Frederik