[OSM-dev] TIGER data show OSM getting slower??

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Sun Sep 16 22:16:31 BST 2007

>So, is TIGER+AND causing too much load to the OSM infrastructure right
>now?  AND will be done soon, but TIGER certainly won't be.  Plus, we're
>not even _converging_ on a time when the upload will finish.  Should I
>slow the upload down a bit?

I don't know if is due to TIGER/AND or what, but over the last few weeks, I have found the Quality of Service provided by the API for uploading mapping data to be appalling (Using JOSM). I've been doing some coastal trace mapping when I have spare time at different times of the day and as a percentage of time I would say:

 50% - slow, but satisfactory
 25% - slow, unsatisfactory
 15% - extremely slow, almost unusable
 10% - Non existent

1 in 4 times I sit down to map, I find the system is pretty much unusable. Not good. If you want casual users to have a good experience and spend time mapping, the upload API has to be a focus for quality control.

Regards,
Brent.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer